Thursday, September 6, 2012

Ilona’s Giant Beet!

I’ve mentioned before that the employees at Storey live by what we publish. Ilona Sherratt, illustration coodinator, is an extraordinary gardener. I’ll let the pictures below speak for themselves.




This beet, weighing in at 4 lbs, 15 oz, is thought to be the Italian heirloom variety Chioggia. Chioggia beets are known for their red-and-white-striped interior, and they are sweeter than most other varieties. Until the beet is sliced open, we cannot be certain of its variety.

Ilona suspects that some of her garden’s success is due to the horse manure donated by Storey editor Lisa Hiley.

1 comment:

npark7619 said...

Oh, I wouldn't know what to do with a 4 lb beet! I grew beets this past spring in my square foot garden, and they were so incredibly tiny! When I was peeling them, they seemed like the tiniest beets on earth:)

LinkWithin